Sunday, January 30, 2011

Can I do this?

The arguments and irritants have become too often.
It seems that I cannot do right by you,
For more than a day,
Before something blows up in my face.
If it’s a question of familiarity breeding contempt,
Then we should cool off, disengage.
Not talk for hours on end each day.
Even though it hurts to say that, much less actually do it.
It is, perhaps, necessary.
This daily, intense connection is right to me.
For my happiness and literally, ability to make it through the day.
But clearly we are also fighting more because of it.

Something needs to change, but I don't know how or what.
Perhaps we should put a timer on the conversations.
No rambling on for hours,
The time to say goodbye unyielding.
I do not want to be charged again with keeping you from your life:
Your routine, your meals, your work.
Causing you to feel exhausted,
Aches and pains intensified by the hours sitting.

My ability to face you when upset/annoyed is not good.
It is exhausting emotionally.
Seeing that dark cloud in your expression is like a slap in the face.
Its all too intense and gut wrenching.
I don’t want that, for either of us.
I don't want to be hurt and upset by your words,
Your anger, your irritation at me.
Often over things that I cannot possibly change.
Especially when it happens every other day,
And when we go from happy and laughing one minute,
To me being berated the next.
Know that I love you,
But also know that I cannot fight you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home