Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Kapil Sibal is an Idiot

I used to be very vocal about my opinions. I used to itch to tell the world what I think. But the last year or so has taught me, through personal experience, what it means to be jaded. So when I heard on the news that Kapil Sibal wants to censor what residents of India say online, I obviously did, nothing. Nothing perceptible to others, anyway. I probably thought about how presumptuous and foolish this man was, and promptly forgot all about it. Stupid politicians are not really that much of a surprise to me anymore. But then, I read this article.

Reading it made me realise two things: Firstly, I need to start getting outraged again. Outraged enough to tell the whole world about my outrage. And secondly, it is not pointless. I know that now, because the outrage of the writer of that article actually got me to do something I haven't done in a long time - write about what I think. On the internet. Where the whole wide world can see what I wrote if only they choose to (and can get online, of course). It's an awesome power, this ability to share with the world in an instant. Forget the world, it's an awesome power to be able to share thoughts, and information, with all the people you know - and maybe some you don't - with the click of a mouse button. It's a power - and, I believe, a right - that each one of us has. And as the last year has shown us so brilliantly, if we use it well, we can even change the course of history, and do so more quickly than ever before.

My words here are, of course, not that ambitious, and might never be - but it's important that I am able to say them. Freedom of expression, whether online or offline, is as basic a right - a need, even - as the air we breathe. And nobody has the right to take that away from me. Anyone who thinks otherwise, IMHO, is an idiot. If you disagree, feel free to say so. :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home