Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Life on the Net

Here it is - my blog. Another attempt at making my presence felt in this temporary world of ours - of making myself heard. And, strangely enough, the Internet is one place where, noticed or not, I can be virtually immortal - where my thoughts will echo long after I have forgotten them - perhaps even long after I am gone.

This was brought home to me rather painfully last week when I was going through the Orkut scrapbook of one of those who perished in the recent earthquake that affected millions of people in India and Pakistan - mostly Pakistan. Most people just left prayers for his soul - but a few, those who seemed to really know him, used it to communicate with him - to tell him they miss him, or even to ask how it's going - wherever he is. Reading the messages felt almost surreal... in a strange way, on Orkut, he will always be alive.

4 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Unknown Invisible said...

hey, alaka,

this is Anil, Remember me. Im on ur friends list on orkut :).

Just wanted to request you if you could farward me the link to the orkut profile of the person who died in the earthquake.

you have put up a great blog, btw.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow that reminds me of a batchmate who passed away at college (came as a shock to everyone) and though I wasn't very close to him, I do remember going through his scrapbook on orkut... I think you have made a very valid point here. Now I have one more reason NOT to delete my scraps :)

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger zebee said...

@Siddharth - your comment made me go through my post again... reading my forgotten thoughts... and about the forgotten earthquake

It's strange how thoughts and lives pass by... another reminder to make the most of right now...

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

@Zebee

Your comment now reminds me of a lesson at school - about a story from the Mahabharata where the Yaksha asks Yudhisthira questions and one of the question was like what is the greatest wonder in the world, and Yudhishtira goes like everyday men see people dying but those who live, seek to live forever! How true!

Life seems strange at times! But as Steve Jobs said, you cannot connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking forward!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home